The Viscardi Center
Hands-On Skills Development for Rewarding Careers
Training programs ready adults of all ages to thrive in a variety of competitive work environments. Our job training programs are structured in collaboration with a Business Advisory Council to ensure they meet the needs of today’s workforce.
Participants who successfully complete job training are referred to Employment Placement Services and assigned to one of our Placement Specialists. Placement Specialists assist with the launching a successful job search and provide guidance through 90 days of employment.
Culinary Skills Training
The curriculum, approved by The Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision (BPSS), provides intensive in-person or hybrid training that introduces adults with disabilities to a wide variety of hospitality career opportunities – from commercial and non-commercial food service to jobs in both the front and back of the house.
Those who complete the program receive a certificate of completion and have an overall understanding of the food service industry. We boast a 100% employment placement rate for individuals who complete the program and follow up with employment services.
This introductory course covers:
- Kitchen Skills 101, including workplace safety, food handling/storage, and knife skills
- Food safety instruction, including preparation and testing for ServSafe®, a food and beverage safety training and certificate program administered by the National Restaurant Association
- Food preparation and cooking methods
- Nutrition and healthy eating
- Menu planning and budgeting
- Guest serving skills and customer service
- Onsite work experiences at fundraising events and in The Viscardi Center’s café
- Resume/portfolio development
Participants learn appropriate workplace behaviors and hone the interpersonal and organizational skills that lead to paid employment in retail, food service, and hospitality industries. Training includes:
- Soft and vocational skills building in simulated work environments, including The Viscardi Center’s on-campus, fully operational retail store.
- Navigating appropriate workplace etiquette, time management, and attire.
- Problem solving while working on a team or independently.
Interested in Learning More?
Complete and submit this form to learn more about The Viscardi Center’s programs and services.