Open to Children and Adults with Developmental Disabilities who are residents of the Town of North Hempstead
Our supervised Saturday Respite and Recreation program is a full-day, weekly activity for Town of North Hempstead residents, ages 8 and up, with development disabilities. Held year-round, this unique experience gives participants an opportunity to socialize with their peers and explore their communicates through a range of social, educational and recreational activities and excursions. There is no cost to the participants and transportation to/from all of the activity and outing locations is provided. The program’s home base is Clinton G. Martin Park, conveniently located at New Hyde Park Road & Marcus Avenue in New Hyde Park.
Program at a Glance:
- Saturdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- No cost to eligible participants.
- Transportation to and from all activity/outing locations included, as well as many of the admission and activity fees.
- Activities include crafts, cooking, music, movies and seasonal swimming, along with community outings to bowling alleys, movie theaters, parks and more.
- Eligibility: Individuals supported through the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) are eligible. Participants must have a TAB number and be screened for admission. The Viscardi Center can provide guidance for applying for eligibility.
- Staffing: Background checks, including fingerprinting, are completed through the NYS Department of Education.
For more information, contact Barry Tussman at firstname.lastname@example.org.