The Viscardi Center offers a comprehensive suite of employment related services for military veterans.
Abilities, Inc. at The Viscardi Center specializes in preparing military veterans for entry into the workforce through an array of employment services. We understand the unique needs of our servicemen and women and know how to align military experience with civilian careers. We have the expertise and experience to provide the right tools and guidance for veterans to secure meaningful employment, as well as additional services they and their families may need.
Led by retired military personnel, our New York City-based employment specialists help veterans of any service status and previous experience match job skills with current labor market needs, improve interview techniques, and develop solid resumes with the goal of securing employment.
Services at a Glance
- Vocational Evaluation – Testing to determine skill levels, aptitudes and interests, to clarify career goals and opportunities. Geared toward identifying transferable skills from military to civilian workforce.
- Employment Services – Services to assist in conducting successful job searches leading to meaningful positions at all levels. Includes developing a job search plan, creating resumes and cover letters, holding practice interviews, attending guest lectures and networking events, etc.
- Career Placement Services – Utilizing established network of local employers to identify fitting job prospects, arrange interviews and follow-up with leads to secure employment, and provide on-the-job support to promote successful transition to a new job.
- Case Management – Counseling and guidance for veterans and their families, who may need to gain access to support and benefits. Focuses on overcoming obstacles to goals, transportation needs, working with other support persons, need for assistive technologies and accommodations, etc.
- Job Hunt Club – A biweekly meeting of participants and staff, meant to assist veterans with the job hunt and to give and get job search support and advice. Members might share resumes and cover letters, conduct mock interviews, recommend job leads, and offer general encouragement and advice about the job search.
- Pathway to Entrepreneurship – Qualified participants in the Veterans Employment Program can also apply to The Viscardi Center’s National Center for Disability Entrepreneurship (NCDE) which provides resources that educate and transform innovative self-starters to achieve self-employment success.
Our services are offered in partnership with Vet Connect NYC, part of a network of organizations that work together across the United States to provide service for veterans, service members & their families.