Abilities, Inc. at The Viscardi Center prepares adolescents and adults with all types of disabilities (cognitive, physical, learning, developmental) and levels of experience for entry or re-entry into the workforce by assisting them in securing pre-employment services as well as employment so that they can enjoy independent living, full community participation and economic self-sufficiency. Our track record in placing individuals with disabilities in the workplace is unsurpassed and our employment services include a comprehensive array of career assessments, job training, and job placement. We also provide follow-up programs and services based on individual needs and vocational interests.
These include but are not limited to:
• Case Management Services to assist individuals with disabilities in understanding their vocational needs and provide career guidance.
• Employment Services for Veterans, led by retired military personnel and our New York City-based employment specialists, help veterans of any service status and previous experience match job skills with current labor market needs, improve interview techniques, and develop solid resumes with the goal of securing employment.
• EXPLORE Pre-Employment Training Services (Pre-ETS), at The Viscardi Center combines transition counselling, job exploration, self-advocacy & work-readiness training, and individualized work experiences into a comprehensive program designed to teach students with disabilities about all of the education and employment options ahead of them post-graduation.
• Supported Employment Services and Job Coaching programs where staff works intensively with individuals to seek out and develop jobs in addition to on- or off-site assistance to fully learn their job and understand their daily responsibilities so that they can be successful in the workplace.
• Job and Vocational Training Programs for people with varied developmental, learning, physical and psychological disabilities or medical issues. These include our Culinary Skills program boasting a 100% placement rate. All of the programs are taught by caring, trained professionals who work closely with the participants.
• PROSPER – Vocational Program for High School Juniors and Seniors. Designed for students with and without disabilities enrolled in their junior or senior year at participating high schools, the PROSPER (People Reaching for Opportunities to Succeed Personally, Educationally and Realistically) program focuses on improving attendance and self-esteem.
• Return to Work Initiatives that utilize assistive technology and accommodations to help injured and ill employees return to the workplace to perform meaningful and productive tasks to their physical ability.
• STRIVE Pre-Employment Training Services (Pre-ETS) for Nassau County Students is an ACCES-Sponsored FREE program for students, ages 14 – 21, with varying disabilities in Nassau County who don’t already have an open ACCES case. STRIVE combines transition counselling, job exploration, self-advocacy & work-readiness training, and individualized work experiences into a comprehensive program designed to teach students with disabilities about all of the education and employment options ahead of them post-graduation.
• Youth Transition Services programs which help students with disabilities transition from school to the adult world. Our programs for students with a variety of disabilities, age 14 to 21, focus on career development, employment preparation, independent living and community integration through work-based learning, functional academics and life skills experiences. We offer services during the school day, as well as summer, after-school and evening socialization programs.