Abilities, Inc. at The Viscardi Center prepares adolescents and adults with all types of disabilities (cognitive, physical, learning, developmental) and levels of experience for entry or re-entry into the workforce by assisting them in securing pre-employment services as well as employment so that they can enjoy independent living, full community participation and economic self-sufficiency. Our track record in placing individuals with disabilities in the workplace is unsurpassed and our employment services include a comprehensive array of career assessments, job training, and job placement. We also provide follow-up programs and services based on individual needs and vocational interests.
These include but are not limited to:
• Employment Services for Veterans, led by retired military personnel and our New York City-based employment specialists, help veterans of any service status and previous experience match job skills with current labor market needs, improve interview techniques, and develop solid resumes with the goal of securing employment.
• Job Coaching and Supported Employment programs where staff works intensively with individuals to seek out and develop jobs in addition to on- or off-site assistance to fully learn their job and understand their daily responsibilities so that they can be successful in the workplace.
• Job and Vocational Training Programs for people with varied developmental, learning, physical and psychological disabilities or medical issues. Programs include Work Readiness, set in our on-site simulated retail workplace setting, Culinary Skills boasting 100% placement rate, and the brand new Enterprise Office Services in partnership with Canon Solutions America. All of the programs are taught by caring, trained professionals who work closely with the participants.
• Return to Work Initiatives that utilize assistive technology and accommodations to help injured and ill employees return to the workplace to perform meaningful and productive tasks to their physical ability.
• Youth Transition Services programs which help students with disabilities transition from school to the adult world. Our programs for students with a variety of disabilities, age 14 to 21, focus on career development, employment preparation, independent living and community integration through work-based learning, functional academics and life skills experiences. We offer services during the school day, as well as summer, after-school and evening socialization programs.