Congratulations to the 2020 Henry Viscardi Achievement Awards recipients!
Read about this year’s extraordinary recipients:
- Nguyen Thi Lan Anh, Action to the Community Development Institute, Vietnam
- Caroline Casey, The Valuable 500, Ireland
- James Raymond “JR” Harding, Florida State University, U.S.
- Judith Heumann, The Heumann Connection, U.S.
- Andrew J. Imparato, Disability Rights California, U.S.
- Braam Jordaan, Convo Communications, South Africa
- Jaime Huerta Peralta, Universidad Privada del Norte, Peru
- Edmund “EQ” Sylvester, United States Adaptive Golf Alliance (USAGA), U.S.
- Mata’afa Fa’atino Utumapu, Nuanua O Le Alofa, Samoa
- Duong Thi Van, Hanoi Association of People with Disabilities, Vietnam
- James J. Weisman, United Spinal Association, U.S.
These international Awards, first bestowed in 2013, recognize exemplary leaders within the disability community and their extraordinary societal contributions, while remembering the spirit and legacy of The Viscardi Center’s founder, Dr. Henry Viscardi, Jr., who himself wore prosthetic legs. As one of the world’s leading advocates for people with disabilities, Dr. Viscardi served as a disability advisor to eight U.S. Presidents, from Franklin D. Roosevelt to Jimmy Carter.
Since inception, the Henry Viscardi Achievement Awards have drawn nominations from cities throughout the U.S. and countries around the world. Nominations have included individuals with a wide range of disabilities from academia, health care, government, non-profit and corporate sectors. Read about past HVAA recipients.
The 2020 Selection Committee was co-chaired by Robert Dole, former U.S. Senator, and Sherwood “Woody” Goldberg, Esq., retired U.S. Army Colonel and Emeritus Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army. Complete list of the Selection Committee.
Stay tuned for details on the 2021 Henry Viscardi Achievement Awards!