Congratulations to the 2016 Henry Viscardi Achievement Awards recipients!
Read about our recipients:
• Saima Aslam, National Forum of Women with Disabilities, Pakistan
• Senarath Attanayake, Uva Provincial Council, Columbo, Sri Lanka
• Peggy Chenoweth, Author/Advocate/Blogger, Gainesville, Virginia
• PJ Edington, IBM Government & Regulatory Affairs Executive, Washington, D.C.
• Hiroyasu Itoh, Chairman, Japan Abilities, Tokyo, Japan
• Jim Mayer, U.S. Army/Vietnam Veteran (ret.), Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, DC
• Dave McGill, VP, Reimbursement & Compliance, Ossur, Centerport, NY
• Curtis Pride, former Major League Baseball player, MLB’s Ambassador for Disability Inclusion, New York City
• Juan Pablo Salazar Salamanca, President, National Council on Disability and Presidential Advisor,
• Dr. Louise Sinden-Carroll, International Federation of Hard of Hearing People, Auckland, New Zealand
These international Awards, first bestowed in 2013, recognize exemplary leaders within the disability community and their extraordinary societal contributions, while remembering the spirit and legacy of The Viscardi Center’s founder, Dr. Henry Viscardi, Jr., who himself wore prosthetic legs. As one of the world’s leading advocates for people with disabilities, Dr. Viscardi served as a disability advisor to eight U.S. Presidents, from Franklin D. Roosevelt to Jimmy Carter.
Since inception, the Henry Viscardi Achievement Awards have drawn nominations from cities throughout the U.S. and countries around the world. Nominations have included individuals with a wide range of disabilities from academia, healthcare, government, non-profit and corporate sectors. Read about past HVAA recipients.
The 2016 Selection Committee was co-chaired for the fourth consecutive year by Robert Dole, former U.S. Senator, along with Sherwood “Woody” Goldberg, Esq., retired U.S. Army Colonel and current Senior Advisor for Asian Affairs at the Center for Naval Analysis. Complete list of the 2016 Selection Committee.
Watch for information about the nomination process for the 2017 Henry Viscardi Achievement Awards.